Survey: Over Half of Swedes Reject Taking More Refugees

Swedish

By Chris Tomlinson

A new survey at attitudes towards migration across Europe has found more than half of Swedes say they do not want to see the country take in more refugees, making it one of the most migration-sceptic nations.

Around 8,000 people in Germany, Poland, Spain, Hungary, Italy, Belgium, France and Sweden were asked a series of questions in the survey, including “Do you agree with the statement: ‘My country should not receive more refugees from conflict areas.’?” to which 51 per cent of the Swedish respondents said they agreed, Spanish newspaper El Paisreports.

While both Poland and Italy were tied with 53 per cent saying they agreed with the statement, the Swedish number exceeded that of Hungary, a nation noted for its strong anti-mass migration stance and policies, at 49 per cent.

More than one-third, 35 percent of the respondents across all of the countries surveyed, said that immigration was the most important issue facing the European Union today but only 14 percent said that the European Union had managed to handle the migrant crisis in 2015 and 2016 in a competent manner.

By contrast, 41 percent of Germans say they would welcome more refugees despite being the largest recipient of migrants during the height of the migrant crisis, and the challenges of rising crime, increased spending and lack of both cultural and economic integration.

CAP

For Sweden, migration has been a core issue in elections since the height of the migrant crisis in 2015, with the issue dominating the 2018 national elections, according to similar surveys taken last year.

Several reports in Sweden have highlighted the issues surrounding mass migration, including an unpublished report earlier this year that proved that the costs for an increase in migration promised by the Swedish government earlier this year would be far higherthan the initial stated estimates.

Another report, from Swedish broadcaster SVT, revealed the extent of migrant rape rates, claiming over a period of five years, migrants made up 58 percent of those convicted for rapes. The number jumped to 85 percent when accounting to violent rapes in which the victim did not know the perpetrator beforehand.

Migrants started fires and attacked police at the Greek-North Macedonian border, demanding it’s reopened

Hundreds or thousands of migrants that have been smuggled across the Mediterranean and are on their way up through Europe, confronted riot police at the border between Greece and North Macedonia.

*
When they failed to break through the border post, grass areas were set on fire.
*
Much turmoil arose when the migrants tried to force the since 2016 closed border, which they, through mass action and coordinated campaigns in social media, are trying to compel the authorities to reopen.
*
The area has long been heavily strained. The migrant camp in nearby Thessaloniki is overcrowded and further pressure through a reopening of the former migrant route would, according to analysts, make the situation even more untenable.

SOUTHERN EUROPE Italian Minister wants his migration decree to be approved as soon as possible

By   

Deputy Premier and Interior Minister Matteo Salvini urges parliamentary approval of his security-and-migration decree.

“Everything will collapse” if not signed by the 3 December deadline. There will be big consequences if the migration decree is not approved by parliament before timing out.

League leader Salvini speaking at a presentation of a blood-donation initiative at the interior ministry said: “The security decree is necessary for the country and it’ll be approved by December 3 or everything will collapse”.

He has asked that parliament respect the 3 December deadline and further said, “I refuse to think that some people may want to turn backwards”.

GERMAN POLICE ‘COVER UP HOW A SYRIAN RAPED A DISABLED WOMAN SEVERAL TIMES’

German police ‘cover up how a Syrian raped a disabled woman several times’

The incident that happened in the town of Chemnitz, was classified by the police as ‘not press-free’, after both German news sites asked for more information

Voice Of Europe – NOVEMBER 19, 2018

According to two German news sources, police have ‘covered up’ a Syrian asylum seeker’s rape of a disabled woman. At least one of them is a reliable source and known for quality journalism.

According to Philosophia Perennis and reliable news outlet Junge Freiheit a Syrian asylum seeker repeatedly raped a woman after being attacked in a hallway.

The incident that happened in the town of Chemnitz, was classified by the police as ‘not press-free’, after both German news sites asked for more information.

After combined researched both media sources allege that a Syrian asylum seeker raped a severely, visually impaired woman.

Andrzej Rydzik, the deputy spokesman of the police department of Chemnitz confirmed investigations into the alleged rape to Junge Freiheit.

Among their questions, the newspaper wanted the alleged victims identity confirmed, whether the alleged perpetrator is still on the run and why there was no press release from the police?

“For tactical reasons, and above all for reasons of victim protection,” Andrzey Rydzik told the newspaper, “there was no publication of information in any of our media”.

Hungary wants to know how many migrants arriving in Europe were “paid” by the UN

By   

Hungary’s Fidesz-led alliance expects the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees to respond in connection with the issue of “migrant cards”, the ruling parties’ group spokesman told press conference on Sunday.

Istvan Hollik said Hungary wanted “a straight answer”concerning how many migrants arriving in Europe were“paid” by the United Nations, how many types of cards were in circulation and funded by the UNHCR, how much money the organisation had paid out via the cards as well as how much money each migrant received.

He noted these questions have already been addressed to the European Commission president and the European Parliament’s LIBE committee without any response so far.

“I’d also like to know what the UN High Commissioner for Refugees thinks about the possibility that the money doled out through the cards can be used for people smuggling and financing terrorism,”

he added.

Hollik said the questions were relevant since the UN has a standpoint on migration and various UN leaders openly make pro-migration statements while attacking Hungarian anti-migration policy.

The spokesman said the UN is still working on adopting a migration pact whose aim is to make migration a fundamental human right.

“Fidesz, the Christian Democrats and the Hungarian government resolutely reject this,” he said, adding several other countries besides Hungary, including Austria, the Czech Republic, Bulgaria and the United States, rejected the UN document.

Rescued Migrants Demand to be Dropped Off in Italy

See the source image

By Deutsche Welle

The 94 passengers were rescued by a passing container ship last week as they were en route to Italy.

After being returned to Libya they have refused to get off the ship.

The Libyan coast guard reported Wednesday that migrant passengers aboard a container ship docked at the port of Misrata are refusing to disembark.

The migrants, who are from Eritrea, Somalia, Bangladesh and Sudan, were rescued last week when their vessel began sinking en route to Italy. The vessel was too far from Libya for the coast guard to rescue, so authorities asked a container ship sailing in the opposite direction to pick them up.

That ship has now docked at its intended destination but officials say: “When we asked the migrants to get off the ship, they refused and demanded it take them to Italy.”

‘It’s a prison’

A 19-year-old Sudanese migrant from Darfur said: “I was stopped by this ship and thought I would be sent to Malta or Italy. I prefer to die but not to be returned to Libya … it’s a prison.”

Some of those on board were willing to get off the ship, but had been prevented from doing so by others. Coast guard officials say that they are currently in the process of getting those who want to leave off the ship. So far, 14 people have disembarked. There are a number of women and children among the passengers.

Passengers are currently being attended to by human rights and medical experts. Julien Raikman of Doctors Without Borders (MSF), an NGO, says that Libyan authorities have allowed the group to treat those in need of urgent medical care as well as deliver food.

He urged a peaceful solution to the situation and suggested offering alternatives to the migrants: “We talked to people who have suffered torture on the migration route and it seems abnormal that the United Nations cannot propose an alternative for them.”

Take them back to Libya

A number of Europe-bound vessels carrying hundreds of passengers have been intercepted by Libya’s EU-backed coast guard of late. Migrants are taken back to Libya where they are screened by UN agencies and then taken to government-affiliated detention centers. The notoriously poor conditions at those camps have been harshly criticized by human rights groups.

European countries have been seeking a solution to keep migrants from coming to the continent via Libya — which has become a launching point for such journeys — but have failed to come to an agreement as to how to achieve that goal. Italy, which is often the destination of vessels sailing from Libya, has been especially vocal about the need to stop migration.

Thousands of people have drowned in the Mediterranean since the European migrant crisis began in 2015; more than 1,000 have drowned in its waters in the first six months of 2018 alone.

You can read this article as it originally appeared at Deutsche Welle here.

White House To Pull Acosta’s Pass Again After Temporary Court Order Expires

By Tyler Durden

The White House will pull CNN correspondent Jim Acosta‘s press credentials again after a 14-day temporary court-order expires, according to the network, which has asked for an emergency hearing to defend Acosta’s access. 

“Friday’s court ruling means that a temporary restraining order is in effect for 14 days. But [White House] officials sent Acosta a letter stating that his press pass is set to be suspended again once the restraining order expires,” reports CNN’s Brian Stelter.

Capture

CNN said in a statement that rescinding Acosta’s press pass again would threaten “all journalists and news organizations.” 

“The White House is continuing to violate the First and 5th Amendments of the Constitution,” the network said, adding: “These actions threaten all journalists and news organizations. Jim Acosta and CNN will continue to report the news about the White House and the President.”

Acosta’s press credentials were pulled after a heated exchange with President Trump in which the CNN Senior White House correspondent refused to relinquish the microphone – batting a White House intern’s arm away as she attempted to take it from him.

U.S. District Judge Timothy Kelly last Friday granted CNN’s request to restore Acosta’s hard press pass through a 14-day temporary injunction that expires on Nov. 30.

The ruling was limited, however, with Kelly stating that only Acosta’s Fifth Amendment rights to due process were violated. The judge, who was appointed by Trump, did not issue a ruling on whether the correspondent’s First Amendment rights were violated.

“I want to emphasize the very limited nature of this ruling,” Kelly said Friday. –The Hill

Following the decision, White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said that officials would “temporarily” reinstate Acosta’s hard pass, telegraphing that it would likely be pulled again once the ruling expired.

“Today, the court made clear that there is no absolute First Amendment right to access the White House,” Sanders said. “In response to the court, we will temporarily reinstate the reporter’s hard pass. We will also further develop rules and processes to ensure fair and orderly press conferences in the future.”

In a Sunday interview with Fox News‘s Chris Wallace, President Trump had a few ideas of his own on Acosta, including throwing him out.

“I think one of the things we’ll do is maybe turn the camera off that faces them because then they don’t have any air time, although I’ll probably be sued for that and maybe, you know, win or lose it, who knows,” said Trump. “I mean, with this stuff you never know what’s going to happen.”

Calling Acosta “unbelievably rude to [White House press secretary] Sarah Huckabee, who’s a wonderful woman,” Trump said his administration is currently formulating “rules and regulations” for White House reporters. “And if he misbehaves, we’ll throw him out or we’ll stop the news conference,” the president added. –Fox News

 

Blog at WordPress.com.

Up ↑