Published on May 29, 2019
Published on May 29, 2019
By Joshua Caplan
Mueller will speak at the Justice Department at 11 a.m. EST and will not take any questions.
It was not clear what he intended to say, but the statement comes amid demands for Mueller to testify on Capitol Hill about his findings and tension with Attorney General William Barr over the handling of his report.
Mueller’s report into Russia meddling in the 2016 election did not find that Russia and the Trump campaign coordinated to sway the presidential election. It did not reach a conclusion on whether the president had obstructed justice. Barr has said he was surprised that Mueller did not reach a conclusion, and decided with Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein that the evidence did not support an obstruction of justice allegation.
The attorney general is currently in Alaska for work.
According to CNBC’s Eamon Javers, the White House was told Tuesday evening that Mueller was planning on issuing a statement Wednesday.
The development comes after negotiations about Mueller’s tentative testimony before the House Judiciary Committee on May 15th fell through.
The House panel’s chairman Jerrold Nadler (D-NY) said earlier this month that talks will continue with Mueller and the Justice Department about the testimony. The New York Democrat wouldn’t characterize those talks, though he said he expects Mueller to eventually appear, and if he won’t agree the committee will attempt to compel him.
“If necessary we’ll subpoena him and he’ll come,” Nadler said.
The negotiations over Mueller’s appearance come as Democrats are clashing with the Justice Department over access to Mueller’s full report on the Trump-Russia investigation. The Judiciary panel on recently voted to hold Barr in contempt of Congress after he defied the committee’s subpoena for an unredacted version of the report.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
By Sara Carter
It is evident that former senior Obama administration officials and opponents of President Trump know that and fear it. It began last night with the ‘non-story’ that Special Counsel Robert Mueller prosecutors weren’t happy with Barr’s four page letter explaining their report on the Russia investigation.
“We did not understand exactly why the special counsel was not reaching a decision,” Barr told the Senate Judiciary Committee.
“We don’t conduct criminal investigations just to collect information and put it out to the public. We do so to make a decision,” Barr told lawmakers. He suggested that Mueller should have come to a decision but avoided the criticism of Democrats by passing the ball to him with regard to obstruction.
It was also apparent in the opinion editorial placed in the New York Times by disgraced and fired former Director of the FBI James Comey. Comey challenged Barr’s use of the word ‘spying.’ That’s exactly what Comey’s office did to the Trump campaign even if the secret Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court sanctioned the bureau’s probe into former Trump campaign volunteers, like Carter Page and George Papadopoulos.
“How could Mr. Barr, a bright and accomplished lawyer, start channeling the president in using words like “no collusion” and F.B.I. “spying”? And downplaying acts of obstruction of justice as products of the president’s being “frustrated and angry,” something he would never say to justify the thousands of crimes prosecuted every day that are the product of frustration and anger,” wrote Comey.
Channeling the president? What is Comey talking about. Mueller found no evidence of conspiracy with Russia and Barr, along with Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein, found no grounds for obstruction.
The use of the word ‘spying’ is a common phrase used for exactly what it is meant. Just look it up in Webster’s Dictionary.
However, Comey is well aware that the public fight is all he has left. He is walking a legal tight rope and he knows it.
If there is anyone who was channeling anybody, it was Comey. He channeled the words of former Attorney General Loretta Lynch when he called the investigation into Hillary Clinton’s use of a private sever to send classified government emails ‘a matter’ and not an investigation.
He channeled Obama when he uttered the same phrases that Clinton was not ‘intentionally’ putting American lives in jeopardy when she sent classified information on a server, our government believes was penetrated by multiple foreign state actors.
Remember what Obama said in April 2016: “Hillary Clinton was an outstanding secretary of state. She would never intentionally put America in any kind of jeopardy.”
Comey said months later in July 2016, when he exonerated Clinton: “We did not find evidence sufficient to establish that she knew she was sending classified information beyond a reasonable doubt to meet the intent standard.” It wasn’t about meeting the standard, under the law it’s about gross negligence.
Barr has taken charge. Comey and his crew of FBI cohorts, along with other senior Obama administration officials, have a lot to worry about.
The DOJ is now investigating the origins of the FBI’s investigation and that frankly, is scaring the heck out of those who were involved. The public can thank Barr. He isn’t new to the internal politicking in Washington D.C. and is well aware of the intelligence and law enforcement apparatus. He is also very familiar with all the players involved.
And they are fighting back with whatever ammo they have left. The ammunition is disinformation and gaslighting the public using main stream outlets. It is a war and they are in the final battle using everything at their disposal to go after the one man that can expose all of it: Barr.
However, it won’t work. As they say in old detective movies “the jig is up” and the American people, along with the DOJ, have seen enough evidence to prove that the bureau’s probe was fraught with problems.
It was spying. Plain and simple.
Barr should know, he worked with the CIA early in his career.
He also is not worried about being ‘politically correct’ to benefit the Democrats grilling him before the Senate Judiciary Committee and no matter how many tantrums they throw it isn’t going to stop him from getting to truth.
Published on May 28, 2019
By Jose Nino
A video that President Donald Trump recently shared on social media has been making waves during the past few days. Critics argued that the video was digitally modified in order to make Pelosi appear to be impaired while giving a speech.
Trump shared a Fox news video from “Lou Dobbs Tonight” that showed numerous verbal pauses from the House Speaker.
Hurd commented on CBS’s “Face the Nation” that “You shouldn’t disseminate information that you know is ultimately doctored.”
The Texas congressman argued that “this is going to escalate this debate and this fight.”
He added that “We have old laws to decide how you handle disinformation” and that America has “leaders that don’t understand how this technology can be used in the future.”
Hurd concluded with the following:
“This goes back into this whole conversation around disinformation and how are we dealing with it, and it’s not just the government alone. It’s not just the social media companies. It’s also the media, academia involved in trying to do this.”
Hurd has built a track record in the House for siding with the establishment on issues like universal gun registration and his vote to end the government shutdown without funding President Trump’s border wall. Before Trump was elected, Hurd was a strong opponent of Trump saying that “Trump should step aside for “a true conservative” to step in.”
For that reason, it is no surprise why Hurd is attacking Trump at the moment.
By Katherine Rosenberg-Douglas
By Sunday evening of Memorial Day weekend, Chicago police had responded to the shootings of 34 people, five of whom died of their injuries, officials said.
The grim tally grew as a shooting Sunday about 6 a.m. in the 1300 block of West Hastings Street left two dead and three injured. The shooting was possibly in retaliation for an earlier one in the same University Village neighborhood where large crowds had gathered, and which also left a man dead, investigators said.
Anthony Guglielmi, a spokesman for the Chicago Police Department, said detectives believe there is a connection between the two shootings — on the same block, hours apart — that in total killed three people and injured five more.
“We do believe that the two shootings from 1 a.m. and 6 a.m. are connected,” Guglielmi wrote in an email to the Tribune.
Guglielmi said detectives are questioning four people of interest in connection with the shooting of five people on Hastings, in the ABLA Homes public housing community.
“Multiple weapons have been recovered and detectives believe our offender opened fire on a group of people with a TEC-9 semi-automatic machine pistol. Two victims suffered fatal injuries and two others are being treated at an area hospital,” he said in a statement.
After daybreak Sunday, police were called back to the 1300 block of West Hastings Street, where they’d responded just a few hours earlier. Guglielmi said officers had been to the housing community multiple times to disperse large crowds that had gathered.
“A review of police and security cameras show several hundred people were gathered prior to this incident,” he said.
Five people were shot during the second shooting; two men died of their injuries and three others who had been seated in a black sedan when a gunman opened fire were being treated for their injuries at Mount Sinai Hospital, according to police.
A 31-year-old woman was shot in the hip and a 25-year-old woman was shot in the left arm as they were sitting in the car, officials said. They were expected to recover from their injuries. Two men, ages 26 and 27, were shot and taken to Stroger Hospital, where they died of their injuries, police said. Information wasn’t immediately available about the fifth shooting victim.
In the first call on West Hastings Street, police were dispatched to a loud disturbance by a large group that had gathered about 1:30 a.m. When they arrived, police found a man unresponsive on the street. The 25-year-old was taken to Stroger Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
A woman, 27, also was shot during the gunfire. She had a gunshot wound to her left forearm, and she also went to Stroger, where her condition was stabilized, according to police. A third person also was shot, but additional details on his or her injuries were not immediately available.
Guglielmi said Superintendent Eddie Johnson met with command staff Sunday morning and has been in contact with the Chicago Housing Authority regarding the private security patrols that are assigned to the complex.
Guglielmi said officers had also made 41 arrests for gun offenses and had taken 112 guns off the streets between 6 p.m. Friday and 10 a.m. Sunday as part of their Memorial Day weekend patrols.
Earlier, a man who was shot in the foot crashed into a Chicago police vehicle, injuring an officer, about 3:25 a.m. in the 1200 block of West 73rd Street in Englewood on the city’s South Side. The driver of a Hyundai Santa Fe, 23, was shot in the foot before he started driving the wrong way south on nearby Ada Street, according to police. At Ada and West 74th streets, he crashed into a CPD vehicle headed east, and the injured police officer was taken to a hospital, where his condition was stabilized.
The 23-year-old was taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn, where his condition was stabilized, police said. There were two passengers in the Santa Fe, and one was critically injured in the crash, officials said. A 26-year-old passenger was treated at Advocate Christ and his condition was stabilized, while a 25-year-old passenger also was being treated at Advocate Christ for injuries that were critical, investigators said. It was one of two crashes between Saturday night and Sunday morning that involved Chicago police vehicles and officers; the other left 10 Chicago police officers injured.
A 57-year-old who was known to police said he was walking in the 2700 block of West Flournoy Street in the Lawndale neighborhood about 1 a.m. Sunday when he heard gunshots and noticed he’d been struck once in the buttocks, police said. The man was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital, where his condition was stabilized. No arrests had been made.
About 12:55 a.m., police were called to the 2300 block of South California Avenue in the Little Village neighborhood, officials said. A 23-year-old said he was on foot when two people started chasing him and shooting at him. He was struck in the chest and the back, though it was unclear whether that was two gunshots or one, creating both entrance and exit wounds, according to preliminary reports. The man, who was known to police, was taken by friends to Mount Sinai Hospital, where he was listed in critical condition. The gunman or gunmen fled on foot, the man told investigators. No arrests have been made.
Two people were shot, one fatally, Saturday night in the Gresham neighborhood on the city’s South Side. About 10 p.m., two men, one 43 and the other 21, were standing on a sidewalk in the 400 block of West 77th Street when someone in a vehicle started shooting at them, according to police.
The 43-year-old was shot multiple times and was rushed to the University of Chicago Hospital, where he later died of his injuries, police said. A second man, 21, was shot in the left leg and was taken to the same hospital, where his condition was stabilized, police said. No arrests had been made.
Check back for updates.
Published on May 28, 2019